Free Lighter with Any Candle Purchase. While Supplies Last

As much as we love our dogs for being playful, funny, and goofy, it may come at a price. Dogs are some of the most joyful creatures on earth, and nearly 40% of households in the US have one. However, with excitement also comes confusion. New statistics released on the 16th of December, 2022, by The Kennel Club show that dogs are 53 percent more likely to be treated for eating human food or objects that are poisonous to them. 

If you’re a dog owner or an owner of any pet, you may know the familiar feeling of terror when you realize they just ate something they weren’t supposed to. Now imagine it’s your favorite candle. So now the question you’re probably asking yourself is, “What to Do If Your Dog Eats a Candle?” and “Are candles bad for dogs?”. Fear not; let’s go over exactly why candles are bad for dogs and what to do if they ingest one. 

What Happens if My Dog Eats a Candle or a Wax Melt?

If your dog eats a candle or wax melt, it is important to call the vet immediately. In most cases, the wax will pass through their system without causing any damage. However, if there are other substances, such as fragrances or additives, they can be toxic and cause digestive issues in dogs. Additionally, if your dog ate a large amount of wax, it could cause a blockage in their intestines and require medical attention. To avoid this situation, look for pet-friendly candles free of toxins and fragrances to ensure your dog’s safety. Luckily, at Pet Safe Candles, you can be sure your pup will stay out of harm’s way when using our dog-safe alternatives to traditional candles. Plus, these dog-friendly candles come in a variety of scents—including peach nectar—so you can enjoy the same fragrances as regular candles without having to worry about your dog’s safety. Ultimately, always keep an eye on your dog when candles or wax melts are lit or present to ensure they do not try to eat them. Taking these precautions can help create a safe environment for both you and your dog.

By following these steps, you can reduce the risk of harm from candle consumption if your dog accidentally eats one. However, it’s important to note that if your dog has consumed a candle or wax melt and is showing any signs of distress, such as vomiting, diarrhea, or lack of appetite, it is best to contact your vet immediately. With the proper precautions and a quick response, you can help ensure your dog’s safety if they ever eat a candle or wax melt.

Is Candle Wax Digestible?

Candle wax is not digestible and should be avoided for consumption. Candles typically contain paraffin wax, which is made from petroleum or shale oil. This type of wax does not dissolve in the stomach and can obstruct it if ingested.

It’s important to note that tea tree candles may still contain some paraffin wax. Tea tree candles are made with a blend of soybean oil and paraffin wax. Therefore, if a tea tree candle is accidentally swallowed, it can still cause an obstruction and should be treated as a medical emergency.

Overall, candle wax is not digestible and should be avoided. By opting for soy or beeswax-based candles, you can enjoy your candles without worrying about potential health risks. However, if a candle is accidentally swallowed, it’s essential to seek medical attention immediately. Doing so can help minimize the risk of experiencing any complications from ingesting the wax.

What Candles Are Toxic to Dogs?

It is essential to know which candles are toxic to dogs; integrating pet-friendly candles into your home can make all the difference in assuring your home is a safe space for your dog. Unfortunately, some candle types and waxes can be harmful if ingested by a pet, such as paraffin wax, scented candles (including those made with essential oils), lead wicks, and any containing heavy metals or dye. Furthermore, if your dog eats any of these items, it could cause health issues ranging from mild gastrointestinal distress to severe problems requiring medical attention.

The best pet-friendly alternative is an all-natural soy wax candle that does not contain any synthetic fragrances or dyes. Soy candles are also a good choice because they burn cleanly and with little to no soot residue. Additionally, soy candles are non-toxic and biodegradable, making them an excellent choice for pet owners looking to create a pet-friendly home environment.

At Pet Safe Candles, We Value Your Dog’s Safety

Pet Safe Candles is the perfect solution for dog owners worried about their pets eating a lit candle. Our dog-safe candles are made with all-natural ingredients and come in an easy-to-use container that prevents your dog from getting close enough to eat them. So you can relax knowing that your dog is safe around our candles! Our products are ethically sourced and tested to meet the highest pet safety standards. 

We offer a wide selection of scented, unscented, and even aromatherapy options, so you’re sure to find something that’s just right for your pet’s needs. Our amber oak moss wax melts are specially formulated to be dog-safe and parrot safe so you can enjoy them safely in your home. Unlike conventional candles that use synthetic fragrances, our candles and wax melts are 100% natural, using only pure essential oils without artificial additives. Plus, our candles burn longer than regular ones, providing hours of peace of mind and excellent illumination. 

Get dog-safe candles at Pet Safe Candles and give your dog the gift of safety. Shop now!